A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Too big for the dining room table, now dude?

I swear. Brussels sprouts?

Broccoli? 

No dice, big time back 
when. 

I was a kid, and my taste
was so sweet I cringe
to recall the sheer amount
of sugar I poured on me
Corn Flakes (this was well
before Def Leppard's darning
influence) to make up for them
not being Frosted.

I do know 

it was Grr
ate, but my mind
reels why?

Even as my emotional 
palate sings for real! To tart 
pucker my today-lips at the known 
sweet song those days sang!

Meanwhile,

Brussel sprouts?

Broccoli?

Back then I swear I had no taste
for the finer things, because holy
shit nutrition, one woman once
taught me how Brussels sprouts
and scallops fried up right

were Thanksgiving forever,
and it stays. Gratitude 
is indicated on such
lessons, which 
never lessen. But they

grow strong in memory,
bones and teeth, blood, sinew
and bone, so-informed. Marrow. 

Heart.

Anyway, mind. I got a jones for 
soul food, when I'm feeling 
culturally apropos! And 

the pizza joint - the one 
I loved forever and only 
place in-county that could
serve up a just slice of cheese 
for one to appreciate the true 
triune virtues of such simple 
hot dish your palate stays 
scalded, knowing how too
-fast you bolted, wolved 
that once-too-many a slice! 
Closed! Out of business! 

Again! 

So sure honey,
let's try the new soul
food place they put on it
instead, why not. GOOD
though.

Well.

Cafeteria style, and a couple
of the hot dishes came up 
warm at best, but flavor? 
Wise, strong, good n' true. 

I took it well, then. Now? 

I remember too well my inner
and then eternal kiddom. Back
then, I'd have banged my head 

down onc
e

(did!)

...on the dinner table upon
seeing there were too many
Lima 
beans for nine kids
to finish upright, like we
teamwork should for mom!

And her then oft-bruited
starving China complex
(typical), and I saw I was
bound to (had to) (China)
go in for seconds.

Damn. 

I still hate Lima Beans in
memory. I hated those things 
then, but you clean your plate 
of what you chose. And go 
in for seconds and thirds, 
I propose.

Otherwise, 
you're just some

kid. 

Grow big or grow home.
Up? Sure, when and if,
but no rush. Just wait, 
for there may be 
more if you trust. 

Please, sir, though. Can I 
have some less of them

beans? 

What were they thinking of?
In Peru, I mean? Those beans
to choose, cultivate, serve up
in commerce for a starved
world's vitamins or minerals?
Calories!

Hard pass, please. Don't salt 
me, I yuck no yum of any 
one but one. 

Me. 

Yet today they taste good. Weird. 
Buttered adequately, salt, 
to taste: they do. 

Word. 

Same goes with liverwurst, only
much the reverse: every damn time
I can no longer distinctly recall how
foul that goes in a sandwich. It's like
my memory holds all tastes, but I myself 

have none.

I think body chemistry alters 
what we crave
as we age 
for a reason, but
let's all hope
I'm not just whistling 
whatever offensive patriotic 
hymn they blow lip service to 

in Brussels, shall we?

I can tell you half the whole
"Broccoli" story too, if you like,
and kid?

No. I don't do that on food.
It's got more than you'll want

to hear about James Bond.
Not to all tastes, 007. But
dude was a hard bright ops 
snob on a high royalty
authorized murder 
rampage, when

he had to. Why? 

Well we all know the 
reason; it's since 

he could
by then.

He found he could. 
People were like, 
Jim. He's dead. 

DO IT. 

It's your job. 

How? Obviously
as a kid, he at least
had eaten his greens. 

Now he eats all colors, 
cunningly and otherwise 
to the bone. Right. 

Marrow. 

Kiss kiss, bang
boy. Girl, whoever 
they hire or rent.

It's quite a job, with
some confidence 

entailed. 

Not to all tastes, 
I suspect. 

I love 
loved her 
Brussels sprouts. 
Less than her, 
as it turned out. 
As she showed 
me. She 

could put down 
pounds of those 
leafy-knot deals, 

fried right! MmM!

Moms can cook 
can't they.  

Just not 
too light. 

Then again her 
kid, she loved 
those sprouts. 

Must be something 
done right. I never 
cared 

for them 
then. 

Too young, too 
stupid to taste 
what was always 

so good.

No comments: