A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Sunday, October 02, 2022

the Once & X.

I wants wuz an Ace or so I’d bet.
Twice degraduated to King, then Jack.
I do sense by now that I'm no "10," yet
I'll keep raising stakes in counterfeit stacks.

I still haven’t learned my last lesson yet,
but the lesson before: I have figured it out.
There isn’t any gift or luck in doubt, just

Judgment's suspense! While the evidence
settles to landslide rout in an open case.
I have seen them all proved. Here comes

- on the river! I do
hope, bet, guess, thunk
hard, prayed sweet I reckon
suspect:

my Ace?

Close.

So let defeat cut cigar in half,
call it whole, better light next
time, next gaffe. Closer still
forever next, on this we vow:
or we really might as well:
’til death we

yet.

As close as now gets,
catching closer still,
oh yah. You bet. You
bet you will. So. Set?
Ready Go? OK.

Come closer still.

No comments: