A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Friday, November 10, 2017

shotgun bride

...As she slips down the ladder-rope
that I flung up to catch on sill
she cleaned out all her chest of hope
all of the trouble and the shells she's saved,
she milled them herself of her own free will, she calls

shotgun, shotgun, shotgun
and she knows I got one, got one
got one

She got the ammo, I got the rod
and I don't intend to spare no one
One barrel two barrel plus the stock
- in too-close quarters I'm ready to run
upside your head, the jack of clubs
rock-hard hickory buffed to gloss
She's at the wheel she's the duchess of stunts
I'm in the death seat, aiming for boss, she calls

shotgun, shotgun, shotgun
and she knows I got one, got one, got one
when she calls shotgun, shotgun, shotgun
it's cause she knows I got one,
got one
got one

I snuck in through the old South fence
raising all alarms plus electrical bills
her old man's just over the hill
She got the wheel, she daisy dukes
She's an all-pro hazard in a muscle car
if I don't clip you man I'm afraid she will
She got the wheel, she's aiming hard
it ain't no General Lee, it's Patton tank
the man's at the hole, trying to call all cars

He shoulda known better than that
he taught her how to act
taught her how to shoot, and I will
he shoulda known better than that
she got the trigger in hand
it’s wrapped around a ring
hold still

I just aim.
She calls shots
Fish in a barrel and deer in lights
bird shot buck shot double pump ought
to change your brain
set free your mind
you’re welcome at the church if you come on time
to give her away, ‘cause old man she’s mine, she called

shotgun!
shotgun
shotgun,
And you know she's got one
got one
got one, when I call
shotgun, shotgun, shotgun
then you know I got one
got one
got one

I just aim
she calls shots
filled the shells herself, every pellet of pain
and here comes your invitation engraved
- it's wrapped around a brick in case you wake up

1 comment:

dogimo said...

"It's like a really confusing wannabe Clint Eastwood movie about dangerously retarded adolescent romance notions!"

- The Anonymous Review