A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Friday, November 24, 2017

with a beautiful view of what's missing from it

The sun has moved on,
and the view's gone inside
- but I thank you, for all
of the good you advise

Too late,
you told me to stay

warm in the sun. Well okay,
you told me on time, but I was late
hearing you. I should have paid
more attention. Instead,

I have paid the price
of retrospect, where you told me so's dance
around my neck, like the scratchy scarf
I am bundled in.

But of course, you would never tell
me them. Those told-me-so's. For one thing, you
didn't know that I wasn't listening.

For another, by now I can see
it myself. For another thing,
you've not been disposed
to gloat, not nearly enough,
which I suppose
is nice.

Meanwhile, I am here. Back in. Too late
to go on, too far to come back,
with the heat seeping on
and my scarf flung off,
and an aching back
where I used to be.

I sit with the view
in retrospect, and warm
in the memory
of where I should
have stayed.

It's gone
all cold, there
now.

But I feel like that
could

have been delayed

2 comments:

Mel said...

Splendid.

dogimo said...

Thank you! :-D

"Splendid" is a splendid word.