A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Wednesday, October 11, 2023

take measure

I keep a level in my heart, 
like carpenters use to test straight lines. 
The bubble slips from left to right 
with every beat, and I feel fine. 

I keep a gauge in mind, all day. 
It's sensitive. It calibrates. 
Sometimes results are off the charts, 
but those are only on best days. 

I keep a range, a meter, glass 
with needle always quivering
or sitting still. Whichever way, 
I hope tomorrow when I rise, 
it always will.

I don't know what these things 
are for. I only know they're always 
there, and always have been.
I keep score against myself.

So far, I win. 

No comments: