A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Monday, October 23, 2023

kinds-of spiders

The Brown Recluse
is champ of fears.
I've seen the real
mccoy, plus pics!
Of recluse, and the
damage it inflicts
on flesh, not by
ill-will, but usually
only when/if pressed.

Please don't, my
dears. You're better
off, and so am I.

The Widow's bite
brings pain in mind!
But thankfully never
in flesh (mine). I see
its carmine, scarlet sign
and sigil well. It quite
stands out, that’s if
you know quite where
to look. I do! No doubt!
I see, I spot, and so I bless
its predatory web, so pitched
in sails to catch the ripened breeze
and flying insects, in its spell
so ease

-ily, it augurs well
for Widow's peaks of fuel
and strength, and bodes aplenty
more bodies, galore to come
in Widow's broods, by Widow's eggs
in time's brief stretch, and then again
but please, kids -
- not on me!

So far,
so good
so what.

Some other kinds I have
for sure,
but I don't know
them
well-enough
by sign to name
each every one,
or kind.

No game
for me, that studied
figured-out and catalogued
eye-traipse through arachnid
bestiary. So I just bless!
However just.

They make a living,
seems to me,
at pleasant and appointed task!
(to them, perchance)
(I make no claim)

and weave respective webs
by dance, to shake in waves
of invitation's grace
By stretching bull's-eyes which
encircle out,
alas

to me!

I often plow
right through such things.
I am (as many maddened
spiders find) a force
of nature, that

they can't quite
spot coming, account for,
thwart, or oft foresee. For
in my ways and sway,
sometimes,

their webs surround.

And dumb-as me, like
dumb-ass flying bull
or bug, I do succumb
to treachery of tangled
webs enough, and they
get down! And I will flail
and say "EUEUUGH"!

My luckless after-battle
cry. Don't cry for me,
eight-legged bay-bay.

Just passing through
Just me, kind friend
-ly neighborhood
web-slinger! Yes, it
is I. Your ne'er sworn
never-foe, in this, our
passing chance to try.

If I had seen

you

or IT,

you know, I would have
given wide-as birth
a great broad berth
for you to spin.

I didn't.
SORRY.

"So what?"

All.

It's all that I can-do.
And what it's worth,
I leave to you.

Down to
and including everything.
Up to and including
nothing.

I don't judge
spiders
in
any inimical way,
just occasionally webs.

If you lil’ peeps can build one
much more visible,
probably you'd starve.

If you could build one
large, sticky and hard
enough to stop me plowing
through unawares and pulling
the whole thing down, if you
could weave it strong
enough to catch me in

- good luck with THAT last meal!

I bet, suspect and reckon it would be,
for one of us. And that’s
no sin.

Spiders
are our friends,
you know. That’s if we hate,
dislike or loathe, avert self
from (or disagree with) all
the various bugs, insects,
and such small things they prize
to prey upon, and live.
And stay alive.

Therefore, I here presume:
a given spider is our friend,
so long as it builds
and spins OUTSIDE.

In the ENVIRONMENT.

Where such things belong!
This goes double and triple
for ants, by the way.

No comments: