A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

to hoe

Every row is a tough row to hoe
if you ain't got a hoe to hoe with, bro.
Or supposing you can't hoe to save your life?
Not everybody can. It takes practice, yo!

You may think you're a rake and God's gift to leaves,
but you see that tough row? You ain't got what it needs.
Go down on your knees, pray for help if you wish
but them angels don't do dirty work like this.

Do you go boating up the river without the oars?
Or expect to find it easy, when you ain't done chores?
Go get yourself a hoe and just hoe, hoe, hoe!
Take the tough row first.
You can't hoe for shit, yet,
so it's going to be tough - and so will the next.
It gets easy as it goes,
'cause you learn as you go.

Every damn row is tough, 'til the tough learn to hoe.

5 comments:

dogimo said...

so dumb

Steph said...

Certainly not one of your best, but so worth it for this phrase: "God's gift to leaves." I really cannot wait for an opportunity to throw this into an argument in a fit of mock rage.

dogimo said...

God's gift...to leaves.

I don't get it.

Steph said...

I don't think there is anything to get, and I think that's why it made me laugh. It's just so ridiculous that I think it would confuse someone if used in an argument.

I like that you don't get something you wrote.

dogimo said...

I got it in context, what with rake and all. I didn't get what singling it out did for you. I found it an evocative phrase, but a bit cryptic?

But it's a fact I don't get PLENTY of what I write. I know, because I'll get it later on and feel pleased with myself. Mostly for getting it! Later on, maybe, for writing it. By that point I'll think I'd gotten it all along.

Which seems natural enough. We subsume the truth about a thing into the truth of the thing.