A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Friday, January 26, 2018

incomplete list of things I don't have

Your love.

Actually I do have that,
and thank you but still.
It's first on the list,
as you can see. Call it
honorary.

Peanut brittle.
Yes! Delicious, snap-crunchy
toffee-sweet peanut brittle!
With the subtle fresh earthiness
of those nutty, legumey peanuts. Allergic?

Not at all.

Just thought of it. Peanut brittle.
Don't have it.

See this list has so rapidly, over-
precipitously descended, in descending
order of consequence? Like a safe

plummeting towards a pedestrian
in a 1-panel cartoon, apart
from the consequence, which
- we won't know it hit him. So
let's raise the stakes, shall we,
a bit more life and death?

We started with life, or the meaning of,
so: death.

A peanut allergy.

And good riddance! Or whatever
the never-was version is,
of riddance. I haven't got it,
it goes without saying - it's
on this list. Not even
an honorary peanut allergy
have I. Good absence; good
ignorance.

Bliss.

Not sure if I want this yet, I'm
very into knowing at the moment.

A hole in my heart, dear
Liza, dear Liza.

No, not at all. Better than watertight,
it's even seaworthy.

A shark. Who has a shark?

Not I. But I'm willing to run the risk.

This is, as I mentioned,
an incomplete list.




3 comments:

dogimo said...

Incomplete list of lines this poem don't have, having been removed:

It hangs,
rather plummetously suspended, with
speed lines, vertically above
and behind in the air. It's
a cartoon.

Shit, that could just about be its own poem. Start it out with something other than a safe and you're bam. A heart? One's heart? Too "done"?

"his heart is a suspended lute,
when you touch it - it resounds"

Steph said...

The extra lines in the comments are a nice touch, and I would be interested to see the poem that develops from them. Give this poem a part two! The original poem is quite enjoyable as well.

dogimo said...

I was thinking of a part two, but it wouldn't include those lines pertaining to part one's safe. Those lines would probably go on to pertain to something else, in their own unrelated poem.