A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Monday, January 01, 2018

Something horrible has happened

I woke up to people

talking about it already.

With a sinking sickening and a
nod
-shaken head,

grimace face, I gave them
to falsely know
I was already clued in, so

they wouldn't feel the need
to update me breathlessly and
blow-by-blow "what we know
so far." And really, my cynical
organ feels sure I do already
know, and wants to see

how many of the details I can correctly
guess,
racing the sad awful dreamlike-familiar moment
when I can no longer say

the truth has been withheld from me.

3 comments:

dogimo said...

This was actually posted about an hour and four minutes ago.

Steph said...

How ominous to see a date that hasn't happened yet right above "Something horrible has happened." This seems like a good prompt for a short story.

This poem is unsettling, and I mean this as a compliment because I think that's the tone you probably intended (or something close to that). I think it works to have a future date when talking about wanting to hold off as long as possible on finding out the truth even though on some level you already know what you are going to hear--which is why you want to delay hearing it for as long as possible.

dogimo said...

Actually I messed up trying to forward-schedule it, to post in 2018. But since it had been published, I wasn't going to withdraw it.