A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

the gets and the gots

I missed the point. But I still don't see what it is.

And I know I don't get it, but there's a lot of things
I don't
get.

The more things I get,
the more things I try, the more
people try to tell me I'm wise, which is nice
but oh, so funny untrue - the more things
I finally do get, the more things

I notice in the world
that I have never gotten, not in my
entire life. And never even noticed, either
how much of the world spinning by,
all the time.

The world, I mean, of karma. The world of how people treat
each other, each creating a world for themselves

of people who have been treated that way - and they know
by you.

And there are all these ridiculous, life-fucking tricks and
habits and ways of looking they all mostly seem to use. Which
do harm and no good, to them.

When I look around and wonder, I try to ask. What
did you do that for? What are you trying to get?

I never ask in the moment post-explosion, with it
blown up in their face. I ask in the ordinary
course of habit, as they go about its accepted use.

I ask in fun, good camaraderie, people discussing life
as a joke open to serious intent behind. They look at me

usually

like oh, we are at the zoo today. Let us make faces
at each other through the bars! But who is the animal?
What funny noises and moves you make!

Yes, and you as well.

My fondest hope is when the conversation is over, we will
go and the cage remain, empty of whichever one of us. Me!
Sometimes, but scarier I dream what if both of us are in.
Who will be blamed?

I didn't used to get it, either. I still don't, but
if language, and society, and offense, and sense itself

are bars, I will walk into every one. Bong,

and if I see you inside, I will offer to buy

you one.

No comments: