A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Monday, January 15, 2018

rule of belonging

Instead of leaping and reaching for greatness, perhaps
we should let it fall into our waiting and grateful laps,
where we'll find it has always belonged. Let it sit
on the tops of our legs and bounce, excited to be there
or nestling down and between like an eager puppy,
saying hi to the shyest of cats.

While we're at it, perhaps
we'll avoid forcing our metaphors.
Henceforward, let's make it our only law
to be graceful and easy and natural,

and let us be ruled as the winds that blow,
and bound as the rivers that flow

to the stars. Ah, there I go out again,

reaching too far.
As long as I've lived,
life has always seemed
like leaps and bounds
over anything dreamed.

I promise to be more grounded,
for now. I will take my shoes off,
walking far and around, and regarding
the trees, and the birds in them
from a proper place,
for a sensible man.

For I want to be sensible: making plans,
and laying foundations and building
on them. As long as I'm mine,

I will wish to be yours. I hope you'll agree
that's a practical cause. I will love you
in peace, tumultuously - and reach
for whatever you name and wish. And you

will not have to reach for me, any farther
than leaning in to kiss.

5 comments:

Mel said...

This is gorgeous.

dogimo said...

<3<3<3 IT SURE IS!!! <3<3<3

dogimo said...

Thank you!

(I was particularly fond of that one.)

(is all.)

dogimo said...

I think "is all" might be semantically equivalent to "and shit."

In some cases! And by "semantically equivalent," I don't mean equivalent in force or tone. Just in terms of what it's used to do. Its function in the sentence, and shit.

Ooh, that example wouldn't work the other way, would it?

I just shot myself in the foot is all.

Mel said...

Or something.