A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Monday, February 22, 2010

the old campaigner

I throw
my useless armor to the ground
and my knees
touch down
twin impacts
as the facts sink in, my crusade
over now
this is where I will end
and now that I know,
I'll begin

my throat
burnt raw, slick
with flowing streams of pain
dried beds, with the river burned in
if I ever had a drink
I can't remember, but no matter
I never will again,
the last mouthful of water in my metal
canteen, I'd been saving up for three
whole days,
I finally unscrewed the cap,
hiss
it escaped - steam
evaporated

that was two whole days
ago

I watched it stream up
thin
into the bluest sky,
the closest thing
to a cloud that I've seen in a while
or will see

before I die

No comments: