A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Jesus wants me for a soldier

Jesus wants me for a soldier
I war on the enemy Satan
the Grace of God is my armor

I call on the enemy to show himself
"COWARD!" I yell
full to the brim
bursting with the Confidence of God

Satan. HAH! What a puss.

If Satan presented himself
before me on the field,
arrayed in all his vile
splendor, preening, marshaling
his armies of demons before him,

why,

I would cry out "Ready to die,
now Lord!"

And Lord God would gird my loins
with the fortitude of Scripture
yea, the sharp sword of the Word
with angels as my shieldbearers,
and for my Shield: the true, one
holy true name of God, which none
may look upon, and live.

Then the battle would commence,
and it would be like one of those
epic recruitment ads for the Marines

I'd win of course, and there would be
a big gleam head to toe, and my battle-
stained outfit would be replaced with
dress blues. I'd be the first sergeant
of the Honor Guard of the Kingdom of Heaven

only humble with it, you know? humble. Just
doing my sworn duty, to the Commander-In-
Chief.

(That's you there, J.C.)

OFFICER ON DECK!!

PRESENT ARMS!!!

2 comments:

blue said...

So is this one of the cases where you try to hide the less-good poem beneath another? ;P

dogimo said...

Yep!