A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

nothing to lose

well I guess my respect
was "nothing to lose"
as for getting it back
it's a bit late for that

you've got nothing to offer
in heaven or earth
what you do have is bad
what you lack's even worse

I need you for nothing
for what - "make me think?"
I can do that myself
far too much for my health

I don't care what you've lost
or what you've done so far
or what you're doing next
or what your questions are

find your answers yourself
you invent what you see
I don't care what you think
or believe about me

so believe me or not
I am walking on air
since I finally gave up

on what -

you?

I don't care.

3 comments:

Mel said...

Some people will say that if you truly don’t care, you wouldn’t have written a poem (not that I’m assuming this is autobiographical.. I just mean “you” as in “anyone”). But I don’t subscribe to this theory. Sometimes saying “I don’t care” really just means that you don’t care. At least, I hope it does. Otherwise, it would mean that all the things/people I am adamant I've moved on from, that I’m blasé about, I actually am not. Which would be greatly disappointing. I always try to be brutally honest with myself. To find out I was kidding myself, that I was still hung up on someone, would be disillusioning to say the least.

So, yeah, too right!...find your answers yourself, punk.

Nice.

blue said...

A nice strong stance. Sounds like the perfect thing to say to one of those people from the "hardest lesson to learn" that you're better off alone than with.

It's funny how. . . well, I know a lot of your poems are fictional. But mine aren't, and I feel like I've written things similar in sentiment to this before, and I always find it darkly comic that I could write a good poem about someone who so doesn't even deserve the time I use to think of them. I guess that's your reward in spending any of your precious time with even a dandelion fluff's bit of thought on such wastes of space.

blue said...

I want to point out that Mel's comment hadn't yet been posted when I submitted mine. Interesting similarities and dissimilarities. Mostly similarities! I agree those people don't mean something significant to you just because you write a poem about them. I've written poems about strangers also; doesn't mean they mean anything to me. But even the strangers may deserve the pleasant grace of a poem about them, whereas the subjects of this kind of poem---well, maybe they deserve the truth of what it says, but not its art or eloquence. However, the rest of us certainly appreciate that in the craft, rather than just reading "screw you, jerk! I don't have the time."