A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Sunday, February 07, 2010

forever's another name for it

you and I are forever, and we
have been. It's been that long
already, and it keeps going on
like a dance that ends at midnight,
on a planet that never turns - but
the party stays cool at 11:45,
while the stationary day-side burns

When we tire of the revelry, we slip
out the back. Sure of thought, and of
perfect pure form, we go where we please
in black. One time,

we two immortals walked out in the wars.
While we sighed and we glanced, every side
showed a gaping wound. And we glanced
and we sighed, as the shell fragments flew
and the cracking shots glanced off your skin
and now a whistling bomb falls, a direct hit
on my love for you

we are not moved, but we have to shake and
brush off, scoop the caked black dirt and clumps
of mortal flesh, that rained up and covered us
as we stood, untouched. It is absurd, but neither
of us feels like laughing. "Why did we come here,
dear?" I ask. "You know there's nothing we can do
to stop it."

"I know." You scowl. "I came because there's nothing
we can do to stop it."

I expect I'll live another million years, and still never
figure you out.

No comments: