A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Saturday, February 13, 2010

domestic arrangements

I get the butter in the jam
all the time. no one else even
uses the jam! that jam is mine.
I don't get jam on the butter.
I'm careful and I never slip:
butter first, jam after, and
what harm does a little butter
do in the jam jar? I go through
that jam so fast - a little creamy
smear from a well-buttered knife,
dipping in for some jam - well,
those two go so well together!
They can socialize a bit, in the
jar. Where's the harm? Hello,
jam, so robust and sweet. Meet
your future husband: butter.

See how well they get along!

3 comments:

blue said...

I prefer to get my jam in the butter, since with me the butter gets used up more quickly and I think it's easier to get the jam off the butter (if that's a goal, to separate lovers, and sometimes it is mine) than chase that little bit of butter all over the jam like mercury all over the lab floor.

But usually I butter my toast/muffin/scone/etc with a butter knife and then use a teaspoon to retrieve some jam from the jar, dollop/drizzle it from the spoon and spread it on the chosen bread vehicle with the knife, then either lick the extra jam off the spoon or put it directly in my tea, depending on how I'm feeling I want my tea that day and whether or not my tea is coffee (which it rarely is, but the jam would be licked off it were).

I also mean preserves (usually lingonberry), and I bet you mean orange marmalade, but jam is a better word, because it reminds me of how I used to think of England and Alice in Wonderland when I was little.

I think this information is far more interesting in poem form, but too late now.

Tess Kincaid said...

This piece is charming! I'm the same. I fastidiously keep the jam off the butter, but a little butter in the jam jar is a-okay.

Tess Kincaid said...

Your comment on hot dogs was a most delightful read!

I never top mine with ketchup, either. But, I am an all-American-ketchup-lovin' kinda girl. I can't eat fries without a huge puddle for dipping.