A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Friday, May 22, 2020

The lovely Rachel

No one knows her name, and I don't
but she's not the one from work,
or the one from Friends
I'm just gonna call her Rachel
in case we meet, and it's the luckiest
guess. I could even pretend
that I didn't know! "Oh, 'Rachel'
you say? 'Rachel' is your name? That's
so funny. I once
didn't know this girl
at all, who I thought
would show up at some point,
and now you did. A coincidence?
Or am I a dunce?" She will look
with a smirk, or a wry implied grin
like da Vinci could have coded into
painted skin, or a frown, or a pout
or who knows what else. And she'll say
"How the hell do I know? Ask the elf."

Then I'd look around wildly for elves
and find none. I would look back to her,
and like a faerie realm ninja she'd be
checking her phone, as if unconcerned.
That's the littlest "as if" I have ever
not
quite
yet
earned.

No comments: