A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Friday, May 08, 2020

starfish aim.

People are not baking in the sun
for my saving hand. When I look back
down the beach, I see

one set of tracks. And not a single
starfish
to pick up, and remark thoughtfully
to no-one,

"It matters to this one."

The punchline to a story set on a beach;
I am sure you've heard it. I have no goal
about the whole beachful, even if
they were human beings, and stranded.
I just intend to pitch all day. The ones
I can't help - well hell! It's a dang metaphor.
With people I would never pick one up and pitch!
I would simply offer. "Hey." "What." "You need me
to throw you in the water, or what?" "No."

Transaction simple. Transaction done. I
have starfish aim, and it means I consider it
a great gift of existence, out of nowhere
- to fit some need for someone. By chance
you were there! Or, they knew what you could do,
and actually sought you out? A great gift
of existence! "It matters to this one."

But ask first. Some people I don't know
they might as well go to the desert. That's
a "bathing" suit, right? A "swimsuit"? Well
it's bone-dry! When was the last time
it was wet apart from laundry! Get some
salt tang into its wet, clingy folds! You

can't assume what others consider help. That's
on them. The times you can, though - can help -
make up for how haplessly helpless you are overall,
with so much suffering in the world - yet seemingly,
none in your range or skillset. It's fine

I can't help all.

I never conceived an ambition
to try to help all. Ludicrous idea!
Humans are wiggly and cool. I love them, but
I am only one of them. I don't pretend
to have all the answers. Well, no. Sometimes
I make a fierce face like Jack Black, running outside
to declare "I have ALL THE ANSWERS!" But it's pretend.
I know it is, and also: it doesn't work at night. Point is:

As much as I love the chance to give something
needed or appreciated - seeking that crap
out seems bizarre. The goal to fit
cannot exist prior to the gap,
the need.
The lack.
For me at least. And I don't want
people to need! I'm happy
they generally don't! I'm glad
as hell though, to have been there

when they did. To those whose opinion
and being I well know, who know me,
or complete strangers - total bonus
chance out of nowhere!

It matters to this one.

But you don't head to the beach
wishing thousands of starfish
onto the baking sands, way
more than you could possibly help
just so you can pick several of them up,
gaze at each with a peculiar thoughtfulness,
and give it a great graceful heave into the surf
hoping for someone to amble by and ask
what the hell you think you're doing,
do you?

That's not starfish aim.
That's some sick variant

No comments: