A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Friday, March 15, 2019

repertoire evaluation

Hey
what if I switched to say the bad
to worse and worst everyone always
accuses me of

only seeing the good in? Wow. They would
be so appalled at just how tippy-top
to floating foundational iceberg-bottom wrong
and adrift they've been

in this sea of truths of eyes and mouths
where supposedly I only have eyed

the good. As if! If only, I mean.
It would be a far better world than this
that I'd be able to miss
so much bad in. Just because praise

is the better part of criticism, you know
and good
is far more remarkable than bad, evil
and wrong. Huh

How have I never occurred to this? One twist

and I could be scathing. And as I've long known
from remarks in clipped-cut plummy tones
of arch observations bit back, savored
in the mouth and pertly swallowed, some
of that stuff I've never thought to say
- polished and whetted a bit, shaped for elegant
eviscerations and six-inch deep
papercuts - could be objectively hilarious!
Even if subjectively low, brutal and
cruel.

What's wrong with me, missing this out? Some people
don't even KNOW I'm a critic! And what

a critic. I mean, I mean it all.

Why only say half of it?

Sinister being one of my favorite
words anyway. Another (and to a much
more natural and great extent) being
arrogance. Sinister only means "left,"

after all - that's innocent. An old slander
against the left-handed, presumed
to be freaks and murderers - a tragically
self-fulfilling prophecy, alas! In too
many cases to count. On the other hand,

I rather tend to trust the excellence
of my courtesy and tact, long-honed
in the shining practice of the opposite
of what I'm contemplating. I bet

I could do such a good job savaging persons,
places and things that they'd be overjoyed
of it! Like my brother Jim, who

frankly

was the idol of my childhood and the hero
of my youth and presumably through
to dotage. Why did I never notice

this trick of his! Thought I was stuck
with my lopsided take. Never even noticed,
actually!

What a dope.

Well, anyway. That's another way to go.
Another arsenal in the repertoire, so
to speak, for use
as directed. Good
to have on board.

How am I going to keep it in mind,
though? I'll need

to think up some kind of clever
trigger
mnemonic
catchphrase.

At some point

No comments: