A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Saturday, July 25, 2020

the circus church

The circus church
flaps ope its tent
and welcomes in the congregants
in gaily daily best attire. Children,
grown-ups, laugh and wave and point
as they fill rows of seats, slide in
make room and settle down. And then

the ringmaster and clowns
and acrobats and elephants
file out in grave solemnity

to put bejeesus in these fools.
It smells in there. The animals
- it's not their fault! It's
natural. Some of the kids
complain, as parents shoosh
(they'll learn, they don't know
yet). The ringmaster declaims

in ringing tones: burn! Burn in hell
or else! The grown-ups catch the joyous
news and begin testifying, witnessing,
crying out oh lord good God! Meanwhile

an endless tumble of clowns rolls
from a tiny car - hypocrites! They
were having an orgy in there during
the service! The whole crowd wows
and awes in applause, a miracle!
Not knowing the filth.

In the end, everyone files out
non the wiser. They have this performance
down to an art. The circus church

has the best damn caramel popcorn
and circus peanuts this side
of the county fair, and

all they ask is have a little faith,
would you? Is that so much to ask

for all we give to you?

8 comments:

Sarah K said...

I found out you have this page last week and I can’t stop thinking about this poem.

dogimo said...

Thank you, Sarah!

It's none of my business I know, but do we know each other?

Did we once walk to Wa-Wa? Just curious, it's cool either way! I have a niece Sarah, K? Anyise, so what do you think of the poem?

Sarah K said...

Omg uncle joe yes it’s me, and we HAVE walked to Wawa. I think it’s funny yet poignant in a way, but I’m not sure the popcorn ever tasted/tastes that great to me.

dogimo said...

Oh gosh. You mean...the host?

You know not to be irreverent but yes, it's crisp but bland. Agreeably, I always thought. Ascetic or austere perhaps. Maybe that's NOT what you meant!

Maybe by popcorn you just mean the general ambiance. If so, while I can easily see to agree, we should TALK THAT OUT AND UP, some chance occasion. I could go on and on about the foibles and miraculous (seeming-miraculous) grace, virtue and sullen bored standoffish begrudged pride in ritual found under such puffed up tents. The church in my view is ALL GOOD. It's just some of the people are there for other reasons, seemingly? Which

COUGH COUGH FORGET IT. I digressed, I don't even know if we're digging the same popcorn!

Anyway. I love you, Sarah K. You are an exemplar of your kind. The kind but cocked-askance stinkeye glance where warranted kind. We never chat much, but you strike me as one fine in judgment, and fairly reluctant to its exercise. Which is fit and meet in my view!

Mercy is indicated upon the weak. And who of us isn't?

Ok. Pardon the tone and style here. I get poembound if I run too many off in too snug a stretch.

Popcorn's not honestly my bag, to be frank. I prefer dippable finger snacks. Chips, veg, whatevs. "Popcorn dip" is unimaginable.

dogimo said...

Oh crap, please disregard some of the recent FILTH on here. It's more about filth than filth. Sometimes I get a bee in my bias and grow a mind to shine a light even on the ooze in my own abysses (but okay to be fair to me, mostly other peoples' - that's natural), rank and hypocritical as that might ring to some. A little too on-the-nose or close-to-home, as such cases may be.

Who words these ways, sheesh. Par-DOAN ay mwah.

Sarah K said...

Oh yes of course I didn’t mean that. Thought It’s not exactly delish. More than even the ambiance, just a lot of things distasteful. Anyways we definitely should talk some time ❤️ I think you have my number

Sarah K said...

Oh yes of course I didn’t mean that. Thought It’s not exactly delish. More than even the ambiance, just a lot of things distasteful. Anyways we definitely should talk some time ❤️ I think you have my number

dogimo said...

SHE IMPLIED.

Yes, I do.

<:-D3