A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Sunday, July 19, 2020

boat senses

When I step on a boat
I suddenly become starboard-handed
but
with senses expanded, topside
on deck,
I spin 'round
- and I bow.

For I know
I am suddenly
port-handed now.
Now my dear, it would be
every bit apropos
if you handed me a glass
of port. Just so. And poured one
for yourself, quite casually.
If that's the sort of thing
that's done on boats? You see
I don't know. For all I knew,
port is never imbibed on board. Perhaps
porter's used, instead? Either
way, I'd take it from you
in my port-hand, natch -
from whichever hand you extend.
Dealer's choice, with a clink
and a toss, it's down the hatch.
I think I can manage that much
just then, as my senses
expand and catch
in the rigging and waves
I suddenly understand.

No comments: