A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Friday, February 07, 2020

Compares to desire

When I was a child
I compared myself to geniuses
angels, false gods, monsters, heroes
real and mythological, grown-ups
and animals, and other children,
and I found myself wanting
more. Plenty more
of such beings. "Aw yeah,
what a world, to harbor
such things in't, even if
only in rumour," I thought
"Wait 'til they get a load
of me." My assessment proved
prescient. I did wait. I wait
still, though many have already
gotten "a load" (so foully
and sweetly to speak) "of me"
- pretty good effect, so far!
I got no complaints, and still
I compare myself to goddesses,
wizards, demons, ghosts,
archetypes, stereotypes,
and other wouldn't-be saints.

No comments: