A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Wednesday, February 07, 2018

Regret, when it comes too late

I was hoping to never feel
like I have to take this back,
or make this right, and anyway now

too much has passed
of time, and life
to be fixing this.
I am sure by now,

you can not care less, anymore
what I wish I hadn't done,

or what I now wish I did
Next,

Afterwards,
the very next day,
or if that was too soon,
(it probably was) then
within the week, or
two - before time hardened hurt
had certainly set, and I
had hardened into
what you thought of me now.

Replacing who you had always known
I was. Goofy and sweet, and maybe

a little bit off.

You certainly made me mad enough
to want to kill that guy, for you. And for you,

I did.

You didn't deserve that guy
anymore. And for you now, I know
that you think you never did. Or
more accurately: that guy

never existed at all, for you
now. Because

you saw the real me, and now

you know.
I guess we both do,
somehow. By different roads.

You all at once,
and me more and more.

Each year that goes by, that guy
who you used to know I was

looks back at me,

across all that growing
distance of time, with a look
on his face

I can no longer see.

No comments: