A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Wednesday, February 07, 2018

my friend the ant.

I never much mind an ant,
when I find one wandered in,
and wandering across my path,
or possibly its. "Hey dude!"
"How ya doin'!?" I'm happy to pass

the time of day. But suddenly, if
a whole troop of friends of its
starts trooping in, I withdraw

in disgust. In feeling how far
beneath me all of them are,

and wishing my friend, the ant
hadn't invited them in.

Then to feel the kinship and interest
we share, with parts of my house,

especially the sweetest parts - disgusts
me all the more. And also

the trash, which frankly they're welcome
to - I don't need it anymore, except

for the can. But I don't want to keep it
outside for them! I want it in here!

And them out there. They belong
out in the environment.

I realize now, I really just wanted
a token friend. One special ant,
to represent how kind
I am. "The Ant's Friend!"

I happily thought, as me and one ant
passed time of day. It was all
well and good. Now horribly, I can see

how these ants must be understood.

No comments: