A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Thursday, February 01, 2018

Presticogitator

I put effort into meaning
- and words come out!

It looks effortless to the untrained eye,
unless they ask questions I wasn't prepared

to overthink instantaneously, right there

- before you all! Before you
Assume I'm just making it up,

just so.

But I practice at it.
Of the dark
and dim arts,
I have mastered my share.

Now please, may I borrow your handkerchief?
Mine is quite sopping wet.
Thank you! Now please, if

You
will look here! Pay attention, so close - don't
close
your eyes, blink,
or nod off to sleep,

or you'll miss the trick.

Before very eyes, and into very ears,

Wah-lah! Ta da! I will now appear

to have said something! And indeed,
Presto.

I did.

With a snap of one's fingers,

Who cares? Was that it?

I guess

But I'll probably keep working it up,
in the coming years.

It isn't quite perfect, yet.

To develop an act,
that comes off in the moment,
you have to have spent

Some time, in considering what
it means, and what you have meant
by it. And what you would do
and say, and what you have done
and said, and how

did that work out for you?

Would you change anything?

From rabbit to dove? Next time,

who knows?

A cat? Pulling anything out

you want, from what's in
that fancy black hat of yours,
or hidden just under.

Reach in - pull it free! Let loose
a menagerie, be they wild or trained, for
to educate, or to entertain

all proceeds
will go to charity, proceeding
upon certain known principles.

I'd tell you a few,

but we never disclose. Do we? Here,

give paper and pen. I'm the teller,

let's break the magician's code. Why not?

On the back of deposit slip,
I'll jot down a balance,

and slip you the lot.

It's all that I've got, but

it's yours for free. You've been kind,
and willing to understand. Thank you

for coming! And asking me.

Is that all? You've been great!

Let's have a big hand!



No comments: