A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Sunday, February 12, 2023

Do you act black?

She looked at me funny
once. Do you act black? 
she asked.

I looked at her funny
twice. Act black? That
sounds a little racist, I
thought. I didn't accuse
it, though - why would I?
I'd never caught her out 
racist. 

Do you know me? 
I asked. Yes! she laughed. 
Well, you tell me! Do I
act black? Was I just acting
black?

No,

she shook her head. Eyes on
further word search mode. 

I just thought, 
she said, 
Maybe you act
black sometimes -
when I'm not around? 

Yeah I don't know, I mused. 
Maybe I do and I just don't
know? But I don't think 
so. I thought. Hard. Then
again - I wouldn't though,
would I? 

How about - check me on it
if you see any, I summed up. Hey

wait. 

Keen look. Why'd you ask? 
Keen look back. Keen looks 
all around! I dunno, she said. 

Hey, I said - was it racist? Is that
it? Wanted to make sure I wasn't
betraying the master race on the
sly?
That's
racist, she
scowled.

I knew it!
I crowed! I didn't really 
know it, but you know - sudden 
hunch retroactive? I knew it. 

No! She glared. I was just, you
know. Making sure you weren't.

Racist.

We glowered warily in keen
intersecting glance. Disgusted. "Typical
white fragility," we said

simultaneously. Then
we had a staring contest, but 

we both blinked. 

No comments: