A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Thursday, December 05, 2019

There was a tree in the back of memory

When I was a child
I thought I was not a wolf
and I wasn't.
Things just were. And
I was just
a kid, and I would
grow up. There was magic,
in that we could choose
to be fools who believe
in magic, as we all do

There was a tree
in the back
but not of a house

that I used to climb
when I needed to think

very intensely,
for a short huff and scrape
about climbing.

I can still recall
I am still there now
half-way through a fall
with my back
about to get slammed
and the breath
knocked out of my body
for a while, turning over
with my arms drawn in
and looking up

into black branching webs

film negative lightning
frozen onto white sky

gazing up at the limb
where I'd sometimes sit,
but not this time

No comments: