A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Saturday, December 28, 2019

pathological empathy

I pretend I know what constipation
is about. Every time I say to myself
Hey. I don't think I took a shit
this morning. Or Hey, I don't think
I took a shit all day! Or
When was the last time I took a shit?

Other people have to deal
with that shit. No shit, I have heard
and read it's a curse. But me
it hovers over obscurely,
uninflicted. So cue anxiety
when I wonder, "Hey? Shit?
Did I?" Sometimes I'll worry
all day and then realize,

Oh yeah I did! I'll recall some detail
that comes to me, probably when
I go to take a shit. Some minor
trigger configuration of those
surroundings places me, far as
last time goes. See, it's such a
regular occurrence though, that if
at the time I'm distracted, not
"in the moment" - it easily slips
memory and flush! Down it goes. Or:
oh yeah, I didn't eat anything
yesterday. Give it time to work
its way through, dude! Or I'll just
take a big ol' shit and say
oh yeah

Now and then, twice
I think - I actually was. Or
might have been. But
it could conceivably have been
innumerable times. Constipation

occurs to me sometimes, but
gratefully (and I am in no way
not fully cognizant of this)
it's minor. Even and especially
at worst.

I have a similar relationship
to back pain and insomnia. These
are miseries to people - and I know.
I know the people. Sufferers. So

I'm very aware. I'll be like
"MY BACK!" WATCH IT! You could really
have pulled something awful there, dude!
Talking to me, there - inwardly
so as not to trick others
into a false impression of my
suffering. I chide myself warily

or awake at night, pondering the specter
of another night of turns
tossed into the mix with no sleep
to leaven them, ghastly-ass
wakefulness you'd gratefully take
nightmares over (sometimes I have
taken nightmares over), only to finally
stretch in resignation, "enough's enough"
get ready for bed, hit the pillow
once, with your head
- it's a knockout!

Anyone who really knows about these
toilsome troubles and doesn't suffer
at the thought, dazedly, really
sincerely grateful to be spared

- is an ass. A real fucking ignoramus

I try to be present
and aware
and genuinely grateful, and I am
for the most part. It's an ongoing struggle

but it's the right thing to do,
for me. I couldn't feel right

taking it all for granted
while others suffer

No comments: