A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

a dream, Or, A DREAM , Or! DREAMLANCE I: THE QUAKENING

A far-off horn sounded,
bright and brassy as a copper-zinc alloy,
but with a tinny tone to it - shrilly
it sang forth

like a klaxon announcing the coming of dragons, and you
could almost see the pennant hung trembling
from it,

a heraldric ewe
rampant upon it, vibrating
on its field of green, signifying

nothing - the dream
began.

I drew
my brilliant lance
of adamant gold, potentially
infinite in keen extent, from its cut
and colored glass studded carrying case
- which I wore about my waist, and which
was significantly longer on the inside
than out, to accommodate

the aforementioned dimensions of the lance (only
several of which were visible to the naked eye). Naked,

I held the lance out straight
at arms length and beheld the point,
potentially infinitely distant, yet

unwavering as a fixed star. The lance was symbolic

of my faculty of Reason, which was defective
but still under Warranty. I had to bring it in.

As I resheathed my lance, as my lance
slid home
in its wonted haunt, a pale girl
drew in breath and drew in, bearing

a tray with a brass ewer on it,

and wearing an ochre dress.

"Hower yewer doing,"
she asked, like an impudent
strumpet? So I took out my lyre,
set fire to it and strummed it. She melted

like butter - what a disgusting mess.

We ran to the castle, distant
in the distance, shimmering
and shrinking every minute
we drew closer in to it;

by the time we had drawn within
an acre's length, either we or it

had disappeared
into the scale of things
no longer worth considering, like aphids
and ants. She shivered

as a chill ran up her stiffening spine,
and straightened it. Her too, too
infirm flesh

had by this time thickened,
resolving itself into a to-do list
and she listed off on her own to pursue this.

I started,
started after her,

and I haven't stopped since.

No comments: