A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Friday, June 17, 2011

"She Hates Angels"

She left me with a suicide note.
It was beautiful,
like a lullaby.
She didn't follow through on it, though
'cause she changed her mind
with the sunrise.
So...that was typical,
of the girl I knew.
And I haven't heard, but I hope:
That's she's happy now,
and her pain is through.

She hates
angels.
They never make it all right
She hates
angels.
They tuck her into bed at night, but
she hates
angels.
'Cause they're always saving her life

She left me feeling dizzy and lost
Feeling cynical
Feeling civilized,
and reaching out for something I'd missed
For the longest time
- maybe even now?
The funny thing is,
it was never me
who was traumatized.
But now I stay up wondering if
Is she watching me,
through those sad brown eyes?

She hates
angels.
They never make it all right
She hates
angels.
They tuck her into bed at night, but
she hates
angels.
'Cause they're always saving her life
But they never make it all right

They bear her up upon their wings
She's never going to stub her toes, but
she hates
angels.
They follow everywhere she goes
Yes, even where they fear to tread
They're always hanging on her shoulder blades, but
she hates
angels.
They never do a thing she prays

She left me feeling dizzy and lost
Standing out alone
Like a signal light
I'm blinking out a code in the dark.
Is she reading me?
Does she care or not?
Or is she beyond? Does she never think of
what she left behind?
I've got her favorite sunglasses on
star-gazing
from the hill she climbed

2 comments:

kourtney said...

incredible, beautiful, sad, lovely.....

Tess Kincaid said...

I hate angels, too, for all the same reasons. They are entirely overrated.

PS...how did you see my note?