A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Monday, June 20, 2011

just rotated my tires

The stage was set
it was HOT 104.1 degrees
No shade. you better believe
the equipment -
tire iron, jack, and nuts to spare
- was red hot and hard,
when I pulled it out.
hard enough to bruise and
hot enough to burn
hands too eager.

Right out
in the open. Right
under that hot sun -
no shade. As I said,
right out in public
you better believe
it was far from easy
but oh, I made it look
easy and sweet!

whipping around, mind calm,
body frantic to go
loosening up the lugs
working that iron around
and around, jimmy-jacking up
the chassis, getting those nuts off
like a precision routine

but spontaneous and easy,
as I said. Easy like a roll downhill
through sweet, high grass.
Routine, like a summer day
all the way down hill - that's
the way I made it look

yet vigorous and bustling
with easy vigor and roiling motions,
stripped to the waist, not wasting time
or money - if motion were money, my muscles
made a lean, smooth economy as I kept
switching positions

first cranking away up front,
then rolling back around to the rear,
sliding my jack out, back in
and under again
and cranking away. I made
that back end dance!
Aw, yeah.

like a precision routine
made up of seeming-spontaneous moves
Right out in the open

and by the time
I pulled that thing out
from under the backside, and slid it
in up under, in front again
to start cranking away for that final,
blessed stretch - you bet things had
gotten (you better believe things had
gotten) sweaty. By that point
- in that heat? Aw,
my mind had checked out of the brain,
and was possessed
by my body.

I was "in the zone" - moving
rangily, hands slipping, working that iron around
in circles.
Grinning like a dog!
Mouth slightly open, breathing
through mouth and nose and all pores

I bet my tongue lolled out

I don't even know, now. All self-consciousness lost
in a long, sweet moment of sweat, torque and torsion.
But that's cool. Dignity
goes right out the window in these situations

too much about action - one becomes "all natural."

I certainly don't mind getting right down to it!
the action -
hoisting,
cranking,
loosening up and then tightening on down - right out in public!
Hair spiking with drops of sweat, grinning like a fool
for anyone who happened by. I don't care

I kind of get a charge off that. And you better believe
that breeze felt good

I did a solid job and loved it. It was hard, sure,
hard work and I was spent and winded by the finish
just from the pace I set!
but I finished strong. When I do a job it is done
thorough and well.

I finished really quick, too!

From the moment I first really
got the nuts loosened up,
all the way to that last languid spin -
as we return to the ground, the pressure
settles back into the joints and sockets

as everything relaxes

and I pull that slack jack out from under,
slide it back in its bag -

it was only 37 minutes. Well

for me that's quick.