A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Sunday, March 29, 2020

kind of guy

I'm the kind of guy

True story.
The kind of guy who
my loved one asked
for an orange
from the fridge. Of course
I would. In fact, tipped off
to a great idea, I decided
I'd have one as well. Guess
what? There were plenty in there.
This is no William Carlos Williams
tragic fable of fruit paucity; plenty
of oranges in there. So sweet
so cold. I took

The two best ones,

and I looked at them
each on the way back.
And I realized

I was going to
give my loved one
the worst one.

I'd keep the best
one for myself. This
realization created
no conflict in me.
Not at all. These
are oranges
we're talking about.
But it did cause strong
feelings. This was something
in me
that I had just faced. And

in doing so,
I realized
something else:

hey, there's a poem
in there! And then, having
realized that,
I arrived

bearing the oranges.

And I gave my loved one
the best one.

No comments: