A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Saturday, October 21, 2017

greater than whole

You are very much not
"a piece." You are more
like - at the very least -
the entire puzzle.

And a very well put-together puzzle
at that! Not assembled by me,
as a matter of fact. Perhaps

you just came from the box that way
- just a few pieces loose, from the ship
and the slide
of the trip
from the fun and games
factory.

Or maybe
you assembled yourself
in the dark, on the way - just to see

what the picture would be.

4 comments:

Steph said...

I like this one, but I can't say why. I'll need to think on it. I suppose a good poem can do that.

dogimo said...

Thanks, I like this one too!

(I suppose I should like them all, but I don't - some didn't turn out as good as I'd like, and since they're not children, I can turn my countenance from them in SHAME AND DISAPPOINTMENT.)

I feel like there are a couple more poems in there, that could go off on their own from places within this one.

Steph said...

Somewhere there are a bunch of your poems who have suffered the loss of your countenance shining upon them. They panhandle for metaphors and irony as they try to make their way in this lonely world, wandering from town to town in search of another poet. It's quite tragic.

dogimo said...

Nah, I think they're reconciled to it. They see I'm off setting other poems free, their brothers and sisters, kids in a large family don't expect coddling and special treatment. My poems grow up "tuff."