A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

catharsis,

catharsis, self
-caused, but you led
the way. You sure woke me
up, you cleaned me out,
you set me straight.
This was some technique,
you picked up from some expert,
or course? Or a program of your own
devising? Or perhaps
just the seat of your pants,
just the tip of your tongue,
the feel of your
hands

all over
me and my life, to make
me think that all
is in splendid array,
the future filling in,
in broad strokes and lines,
good things on the way

- when meanwhile

in reality, every day -

you inched sideways.
Another inch
towards the door.
Fine. Those inches
added up, and now
you've got only
one
foot
left

in my life.
I can see which way
it's planted. Don't say goodbye

let the door

feel abandoned, cry,
hit you on the way out

The way out does not care why.

1 comment:

Jen said...

This is an example of what I was talking about on your other blog, the "glacier theory" that writing a whole bunch of poems can lead to a really good one. Breakup poems are tricky, but I love those sneaky rhymes - and that last line!