A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Thoughts wander how far

Pretty far. Haven’t reached
a limit yet, except and unless
the limit of my interest counts.
It definitely
 matters - indeed,
decides the matter,

but who’s counting? I say
it doesn’t count. And in practice
if it ever did, I’ve lost it.
Count.

So, pretty far.

My mind has feet!
When the game’s afoot
it treks and traipses unstained,
unburned through soot and ash
of volcano spew, to catch updraft
from the pyroclastic flow and waft
up heavenward flue like sunlit dew, straight up
into hells
of lightning-crowned
and towering choking smoke,

then I take the engineer’s seat
and yell “Choo Choo!” ALL ABOARD
the suddenly brand-spanking clean
and new white cumulonimbus cloud
on forward float, scraping straight
out of Dodge on lightning legs,
chugging on with tornado dicks
out dangling down proud, but that’s
all a bit too disturbance-based.

For me,

I mean.

I pull back the controls, and the cloud
launches off and up into space!
Past gravity wells, past
the Tannhauser gate - you people
have no idea what I’ve seen,
though. Randomly wandering
paths in mind. None of that sh!t’s
really out there, you know.

At least not as such. It disappears
like tears in rain,
I find.

It may not be "random"
in the strict stochastic sense,
but such distinction is valueless.
Way leads onto way unplanned,
what comes. I scheme and peer
and stand around, charging up and down
unplotted vectors and arcs
like a bunch of bulls
steered by bums, unchosen except
at each spreading array of quantum tines
in some multipronged superposed blest 
and indefinite fork, and forge forward
on freest whim! As indeed,

I’ve mostly done through real life
- both real feet really on real grounds,
albeit thin. Or working the pedals
and shifting gears for all this worth. There are not
fewer ways to go, down here,
I’ve found.

Not all those who wander are lost.
But you might not want to follow them 'round.
Someone else, maybe. Those wanderers quite
possibly have no clear idea where they’re going
or what they have found, or might have found.
More than likely, they neither want nor need
such ideas, for what they intend to find out.

Just what’s there. Let's wish them luck
on their wanders in mind, towards
wonders unguessed, just what’s not
- or may be, and maybe
we can’t know.

Now a matter of taste and preference
arguably, and as points go, 
you could call it moot.

I won’t argue. But for me? The former’s way
deeper and richer and better to find. Just what’s there.

If you care, you can keep that in mind.

No comments: