A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Sunday, August 23, 2020

affinity's ghost

Fidelity is a funny thing 
to joke about as the punchline 
falls, and everyone cracks 
a face straight down 
to the diaphragm, 
holding one's heart 
by claws. 

Yet as closure breaks over 
and sunders us, we realize 
hope in the midst of woe. 

There was something 'bout you
I knew was true. 

We fit, even if 
we misstepped 

to go. 

The negative space 
'round that joint silhouette
has been dawning to light 
our ways apart. And forward: 
that shape has indelibly impressed,
stamped by some art
into each half-a-soul
we have left, or right 

in my case. For my sighs, my part 

has lain stainless 
between our lies. 

And the lesson I keep 
after all has gone 
encourages me to sing all 
our song. 

No comments: