A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Shooting, wracking pains

Whenever I experience shooting, 
wracking pains up my torso, down 
one hip and both legs, I take distinct 
pleasure in the jaunty insouciance 
by which I continue to traipse, 
strive, stoop to conquer and stride 
in aimless grace, giving no sign 
of pain. I consider myself stoic, 
not impervious. Mere impassive. 
I draw a line in equanimity and 
respond straight down it without 
veer, pause, wobble or keening 
wail. I consider all these things 
valid, despite technically I never 
have shooting, wracking pains 
of the kind described. This is 

how you inhabit hypotheticals, 
bravely to face and confront 
worst- and worse-case. This 

is how you know what you 
would do. How you would 
behave, should you ever. 

Mighty well, I reckon 
and reconnoiter. With 
a brave, indomitable 
grin or similar. Perhaps 
a placid innocence, or 
a harsh, barking laugh 
like cathedral bells 
tolling rude joy all 
through the town! 

I am 
I confess 
no bad ass. 

I am more 
or less good, as aim 
strikes true. 

As to "ass," 
I shrewdly prefer 
the term fool. 

No comments: