A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Tuesday, August 07, 2018

sterner stuff

I'd like to be made of sterner stuff,
like Superman - with my fingernails,
I would pluck off the tops of bottled beers
whose caps had been firm: "Use Opener"
And I'd toss back a swallow,
suppressing tears
for all the mere mortals, who looking on
supposed it to be some trick.
But no,
their distrust
would bounce off me like bubble gum
from the skin of a man made of bullets.
Some day,
they'd finally accept and realize
that this nature of mine - half-cursed, half-
blessed - has put me above
their tricks and lies.

But I'm not, so I guess
I will say the same
of my blood and my flesh
as originally planned.

It isn't a trick, how I open
my beers - and you'll never be able
to understand.

No comments: