A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Tuesday, August 14, 2018

I know right?

I started to talk and she said
"I KNOW, RIGHT?"
I hadn't even started to talk
So I started again and she cut me cold
She said "I said I KNOW,"
right, but what did she know?

Was it what I would have said?
I didn't know, so
I puzzled it out, and
I came to the point
where I had to ask,
I had to confirm

and I looked again, waiting on eye contact
she breathed impatiently one time,
a pout, then turned her eyes
on fair but firm, and said

"I KNOW, RIGHT?"
I said no, wrong
She said "HOW DO YOU KNOW?"
I said I'm writing this song
She said she'd written the short story
upon which it was based,
and I'd sadly misinterpreted
the look on its face,
I said "I know, right?"

This did not rescue things.
She huffed and puffed and blew me down
and called me a pig.
She said she was the villain
she'd been all along,
and I'd cast her all wrong

I said baby, that's your story
but this here's my song.

And then I tipped my hat
but underneath, there was another
one. In bidding her adieu,
I doffed cap after cap,
showered her with chapeaus.
Delighted by a few of them,
we were reconciled, but

she sternly warned me next time
not to stick in my nose.

No comments: