A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Saturday, April 07, 2018

both and neither

Despite my arrogance,
I would rather be grandiloquent
than vainglorious. This is because

"grandiloquent" sounds like
I can talk both big and well -
true, too true. But "vainglorious"

sounds like I charge into battle
vainly, in a vain cause - one I'm far too sure
to lose - and purely for the sheer
and utter glory of it.

Which I don't do. Ever,
in fact. I pick my battles
meekly, never selecting

vain ones.

Complicating matters,
neither word means
what I think it does. I can tell,

because I looked them up. I'll look
them up again, after this moment
is done, but I expect

they'll still mean some bullshit
that doesn't describe me at all. Sucks,

because what a couple of great
-sounding
words

No comments: