A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

big believer

I'm a big believer in love -
but really, it's up to you.
If you don't believe in love,
we can find something else

To Do.

I love going out
after rain, to walk on the slimy stones
in hiking boots
through mud
and grass,
over miles of paths,
'til I finally get to the top
with you,
and the sun has dried
out, oh everything.

And just look at the view. I love

flying kites,
on a kite-flying day
where you're feeling the steady wind,
and it makes you say suddenly oh! This is perfect -
how perfect would this day be,
if we had a kite? I love

the beach, so much.
When the water feels like
coming home, and the crashing waves
feel like love's overwhelming
welcome, and
you come out amazed
to flop on a towel,
all worn-out in the sun.
Already thinking about
your next plunge

and if you don't believe in love, can I ask

have you ever had one?

I know! Sometimes it's bad.

And sometimes you slip
and crack your head
on the rain-slick stones,
and sometimes you get yourself caught
in the string,
and pulled straight off a cliff,
by a kite

who wants to go wandering. And sometimes,
you go to the beach and drown. And

so often, you end up alone.
But you know what? I want to go out.
And go in,
and if need be, go down. The surf

is calling me home.

1 comment:

Mel said...

I love the last stanza, particularly.