A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Monday, May 24, 2010

we, the underground

eyes down cast
(most days)
I'm tamed
no eye contact
that's just the way
the people here
prefer to pass

sometimes I'll slip
and catch an eye,
or I'll smile
completely by accident!
or observe: "morning"

Not even "good morning,"

I'm not making any
value judgment
I'm not trying
to cause trouble,
and usually
that's the last
thing they want
as well.

And you can tell:
no reply,
no response.
Sometimes, usually,
a red, irritated look.
That, or else a studied
ignorance: face set
like a lumpen mass.
And I always, always
feel bad.

Because I don't
mean to make anyone
set their face like a
lumpen mass, against
another human being. Sorry!
I just keep forgetting.

every once in a while

there is a reply. A surprised
smile, or even - in extreme cases -
a bright: "Hey!" or "To you, too"

And we'll each walk on.
we, the underground

1 comment:

Tess Kincaid said...

Sad, isn't it? You would certainly get a smile and good morning from me.