A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

'til death do us

we've been together
for a long, long, long, long
time. And we're never going to not be
together now, because we're in a car
going over a god-damn cliff, right into
the Pacific, and its associated jutting
formations of black, slick rock. I'm
sorry,

but I have to hold you responsible,
here. I blame you. Did that damn bird
really mean more to you than me, than us,
than even your own life? You had to swerve.

No, it's not your fault. It's mine. I
had to let you drive, didn't I? You're
an excellent driver overall, apart
from this damn bird decision. Frankly,
I don't think I could have foreseen
you'd have done that. That was a left-
field move. You kind of just went out
on your own, on that one. I'm not sure how
I can blame me, really. How was I to know

you'd choose a bird! A bird who,
by the way, flew off
before we would even have hit the damn
thing. No, on second thought, I can't blame
me, on this one. This one's all you,
toots.

And here come the rocks.

Look at you. Look at your frozen expression,
eyes white all 'round your lovely irises; mouth
wide, lips peeled back
from white, even teeth, in a scream, probably,
though I can't hear a thing.

You're probably reliving your whole life right now.

All the joys, triumphs, good and bad decisions,
lingering cringe moments, vindications, right up
to this morning
when your eyes opened on mine, and
we both just knew,
again,
lasting happiness
had arrived. That same new,
amazing feeling and realization we
have woken up to most days, for years,
for years,
now

What
a miracle you are, my love.

I will never fucking forgive you for this, I swear. for

A god-
damn bird