A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Saturday, May 15, 2010

if I could cut this glass in half, and make it full again

My heart feels so half-full these days
not sure whether I should dump out the rest
or cut the top off, make it fit what's left
or wait - for it to slowly drain

or else, to slowly fill again

one thing's for sure: You
took the biggest swig from it
that anyone has ever taken. And
when you were done, when you had drunk
deep, and you set it down, wiped
your lips and smiled - it was still
full.

The more you took, the more was left
of love. The more my heart grew,
just to hold, just to contain -
what welled up for you, just for you

And you never wasted, never spilled
a drop.

And: you are gone. And my heart is a glass
half-empty. Too big for what's left
for it to hold. You left my heart
too big to be of use
to anyone but you

1 comment:

Debbie said...

This one touched me. In a good way.