A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Friday, November 11, 2022

Dream perspectives

Last night I dreamed
I was in the third person.
It was extraordinary but
disorienting. I walked

across my own field of vision
and I tracked with me okay. As I
turned upscreen, around a corner
(I was downtown, some generic
cute downtown - I think it might
have been Petaluma!), and it sort
of cocked the angle again, I couldn't
get it so
I had a plain from-behind
view. I kept
pulling out, panned
to the side. 

There wasn't any screen.

Just this detached viewpoint. Yet
I was controlling my limbs
normally! As if
from within! At one point

I was walking quite naturally past
a window, and wanted to check my
reflection - I turned completely the
other way! Then I realized I could
see my face fine

from the outside, so
...force of habit,

I guess.

I'm always
gazing through windows
downtown, trying to compress
all the visual realities into one
(as if 2-d) plane. The background
sky and skyline behind me, people
passing - reflections, me, and gazing
through the dark window spaces, into
the interior light, shapes and people.
Kind of flatten it - as if on a canvass.
One flat two dimensional space, but 
complex layers of reality smooshed
into it. Visual compression. 

That was how I used to paint. To this day
I'm always trying to frame one dynamite
composition. Anything with reflection,
reality beneath, and reality behind. WHAM!
Shapes! Color and shade! Figure and ground
gone interlap and multidimensional! Why
I bother
I don't know, grown
so lazy a painter.   

The face-on view was the worst.
Coming right at me, it was all wrong!
Weave-bop-weave-bop-counter-weave,
correct - natural! Walk, walk, okay I got
this - whoop! WAY off, wall-carom! No
no I'm fine, look how cheerful and
unconcerned. Not 

that anyone notices or asks. Maybe 
they're all operating the same 
problematic view? Yet

overall, it was all so normal. Prosaic.
Nothing at all going on in this dream. 
I stayed outside, I was just trying to pull
off normalcy. No way I'm risking aisles 
and stands, tables - forget it! Counter 
ok, but - I'm not really hungry or 
thirsty. I'm trying to walk, 

here. 

I've had this dream before, few times.
One time my image kept getting framed
by a big gunsight! Huge in the crosshairs,
there it's me! Disappear awhile - BACK! 

I ignored it.
Stupid touch there,
subconsciousness. A freaking
gunsight. 

Anyway,
it's been a while. Last night, 
for no reason at all - as 
usual: third person downtown 
dreamwalk is baaack. 

Totally annoying dream.

No comments: