A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Friday, March 18, 2022

audacity to clarify

"Back!"

I yelled low, like a voice
inside. 

"baby got,"
I additionally, gamely
supplied, lamely but
not enough 

for pride. ("Baby got"
was not done to make "back"
lamer, but as if to ensure
she would not think she'd picked up
a lion tamer, stalking her now
from back behind, with a chair 
in hand and no doubt a whip 
somewhere) 

These things must needs 
be said, or they shan't 
be gotten or pointed out! 

See, I'd spied and referred
(by the safe word "back")
to a fair specimen of the same, 
no flaw, no lack - this was, 
that day,
a sort of ideal 
made real in the classic sense:

a back. 

So sleek visually contoured
it made my eyes feel. You know,
"backless dress" is not really
the word for that. It's backful
as hell, way more than most
dresses! This subtly-muscular
dorsally-sweeping expanse 
playing hide and sweep 
with her tresses rose up
from above those two dimples
some have, like dents
like eyes, if the gluteal cleft
were a nose (a drawn line,
picture it) and who knows
what the mouth would be?

The undercuppage of the buttocks? 

I laughed! I couldn't see these 
making a mouth. But oh, what 
a nose though. I would would beep
that nose, I suppose. I suppose 
too much
I might always beep a nose 
too much - enough!
The point! 

It's a back I meant! 
Not to take her aback
from behind, just
a word of assent
to the fact her back
was remarkable. 

And she knew it, or 
had just been informed. 
It was cool! I did really
not have to go on, "clarify." 
For sure.
But I did.
I had flung Mixalot
in the mix to dispel the whole
lion-tamer routine I'd inadvertently
raised from a cub, now risen rampant,
soon to a rampage, bub! 

I had to do something.

"Got back!"

I supplied cheerfully!

Know this. Not one word 
of my clarification 
was lion. All that big
cat stuff was implied
by the chair and the whip 
which I ditched 
just before she turned,
and kindly laughed 
in my face, as usual. It 

was one of our in-jokes. I 

was the setup man. Fed her 
a line, and she punched it. 

I hadn't quite explained yet 
what had just happened out 
loud, though, so:

"In the classic sense of 'back,'"
I lamely gamed. And:

"...And probably in the presumptuously
-familiar (unwarranted) sense of 'baby,'"
(which was duh and no duh in one, by
that point, since she'd already given her
"All's-well,-Whew!" laugh - but it was 
too late by laugh-time, as I'd already thought
to say this, and as it's the thought that counts,
and as further it'd already passed check-stage,
stamped 'go,' I felt it a waste to mount an
appeals process. So I said it!)

(Having also by this point as you note
completely lost any sense or pretense
of incorporating inner monologue
with outer dialogue (hope sprung
foolish, there) as a half-uttered
half-thought rhyme scheme, weaving
an epic narrative poem fit to get caught
up in, perchance). (Bold attempt

as usual, but lost the thread - apparently.)

"...but it was necessary-"

I continued, justifiably needlessly 

"-to complete an allusion to one of a
justly-bygone era's then-popular songs, which
were always of course a bit risqué."

I triumphantly paused.

Then the capper 
(just in case):

"If apology is offensive, I apologize." 

I had been perfecting my hurt look, 
and wow. Still some sweet, sweet
perfecting to do on that one

No comments: