A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Thursday, January 31, 2013

"the own"

I want someone of my very own.
I have someone of my very own!
I have myself. Oh - guess what else,
somebody else gives her self, too!
to me, I mean. I am her "you."
She is my "me."
We call ourselves
by these two names,
and we know who
we mean each time.
Who we mean first,
above all things.
She wants someone
her very own - and she
has me. And I am hers,
and she is mine.
And this is free.

We're one in this:
our property.

This gift was once,
and it gives still.
It has occurred perpetually
and still occurs each day,
I am
- a property of hers.
And she,
a property of mine.
This is
no slavery.

We freely give.
And freely take:
our hearts, our love, for life -
our time, we freely give

we gave ourselves
for goodness sake,

and goodness is what we got back.
What we get back, and multiplied
I'm more to her than she herself
she's more to me than I am. Why?

Just honesty, I guess. Each day
I ask myself, the answer's true.
She asks herself - she says the same.
Who wanted this? She did!

I do.

No comments: