A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Monday, December 07, 2020

If I had every superpower

If I had every superpower in 
the comic book, I would transform
into a no wait teleport 
myself to 

actually, no. I would make
myself the best damn sandwich
ever made. And I do not mean
I would transform into a sandwich.
No, I would make one. No, no, now 
yeah I know
this may not be
technically canonically
anyone's superpower! But I bet
with all that, it could yet be mine
though. With Wolverine claws
and smell, and Mr. Fantastic's
way around a kitchen, plus heat vision,
superspeed, and whatever the hell
else I need no great amount of ingenuity
to turn all this weird might 

to my goal 

when I know what I like my sandwich 
like, right? 

Right. 

Don't poem hungry. Is the lesson, but 
is there a moral? 

Not quite. Comics, as much as they lap 
corny virtue tropes and pay lip service 
to heroism, are essentially a nihilist 
genre, and morals 

are non grata to super-
persona, especially these days. So

we're out of fucking cheese
well, damn. If I was Superman
or even Shazam!,
I bet we would not be. 

Hey, since you know 
if I was them 

I would not be.

And neither would they.
You'd hardly expect
us to make it to nonfiction
dressed up like that! 

In circus suits, with large
napkins draped from our necks? People

burying noses in those
panel pow word balloon
grid stories and shows
rarely do get in such cahoots
as I do. But who knows?

The Justice League - never
mind. That story stands
closed. They've been true
enough to me. Let alone
the Avengers. 

Have we passed the eve
yet of destruction, yo? Where
strangers turn senders? And who's
in your knot? Your favoritemost
superest hero you got? Yes, "heroine"
is implied, I bet
mine beats yours. But then
mine's got shazam and vision
and colossus in the palm
of a hand. Superdoers, pfft! What's
your favorite sandwich
do for you? 

How does your found good
row, row, row your oars,
oars oars? Anyho, 

you know. 

Let's unscrew and 
deconstruct, or for once:
the opposite. Let's 
screw 
and
construct this shit. 

You know this
and shit are an anagram?

Perhaps 

that isn't the word, but 
you bet I can. Or I bet
you can. I'm just try
to make talk. Work
with me, my dear. Or
for once, against! But
I thought 

it would work, as
coincidence, but
am I not somehow clear? Yeah

I thought it would work.
If we bent our guess so. 
So, what do you say? Hold
your beer? Ok. Let's 

balk. 

Or let's go

it was all so near once, 
okay but I've lost the plot. 
What a stunning array 
we stunt. 

Huh. Works for some. 
Not for us apparently - what?
Oh, you just got 
your coat!
And cape 
and boots on, well

I'm not surprised. Then
Let's just
go conduct some hell

oh, heaven? Wherever
is fine. So long as your hair 
keeps that smell

divine.

No comments: