A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Tuesday, January 28, 2020

circulatory

My ancient heart
swims dragon laps
around the lanes
and molten pools
through veins and gaps
my body has. It drags
its way and squeezes
through - sometimes
my heart is in my foot.
I kick and stomp to force
its rise - sometimes it's
in a lung, and then
I breath half-fire
truths and lies, sometimes
it's mostly in my head.
It throbs and beats
interminably. If only I
could swallow it down
to find it in my throat
would be

about as close
to natural as anyone
could fair expect. My heart
got free so long ago, I can't

quite tell where it should go
to be correct.

3 comments:

Mel said...

Majestic.

dogimo said...

Thank you!

I may need to take another crack at this. Whole separate poem I mean, but same concept: a heart unmoored dragging itself around the body.

I like how this turned out! But it's a bit too majestic, I think. The original image I had in mind was of the heart as a dumb dog always popping up in unexpected place, wedged in the furniture...

Still. I do like this take.

Mel said...

I look forward to 2.0