A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Monday, January 21, 2019

the fear

Sometimes I lay me down, awake
asleep, and paralyzed between
the night

and day.

And terrified.
The first time, it was aliens.
I knew it was,

by dream logic. That's how I later realized

it was a dream. I didn't see

a single living alien being, but

I knew who they'd come to get.

I lay there on my back, considerably

upset, and waiting worse.

I'd seen a ring of glowing white
emerge, in circled symbols of a kind

unlike you ever saw. Revolving,

slowly,
on the ceiling, right before
my very, very eyes

- this sight

was not just in my mind. I knew

paralysis

was just the start. A glow began

outside

- and went away.

It was a car.

I was awake.

Third time, the bedroom door
was open - and a shape, an ordinary
shape,

was standing, still. Outside
the door - the living room, ironically.

Not coming in. There was no one alive

this woman could pretend to be.

I knew it was no burglary. This bitch
was supernatural. This shape

was here for me.

To kill.

I stared her down, just long enough
for her to move, to prove
malevolence and will.

And I woke up

The bedroom door
was standing shut.

As movement flew back into limbs,
with day broke wide through window blinds,
I rolled from bed, and

and stretched, and yawned,

and felt quite well-disposed
to humankind.

No comments: